The elegant Victorian house at 14 Liberty Street in Ipswich was built between 1896-98 by George B. Brown, who owned a grain mill on Washington Street
The wider floor plan and shorter elevation of this house suggests that the builders incorporated modern framing methods that were not available in the mid-1800’s when Victorian houses were still being built with post and beam construction. The house features a partial wrap-around porch and original woodwork and stairs inside.
Nancy Priest lived here before the current owner and tells us that the house started out as a one family home with a maid’s quarters in the attic. It was made into a two family, then brought back to a one family. She told us that there have not been many owners, considering the age of the house.