Deacon Maximilian Jewett was born in Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, England, baptized Oct. 4th, 1607. He with his wife Ann, and his brother Joseph sailed from Hull, England in 1638 in the ship John, with a colony under the leadership of Rev. Ezekiel Rogers. They arrived at Boston about the first of December, 1638, spent the winter in Salem, and in the spring of 1639 founded the town of Rowley, Mass.
Jeremiah Jewett, son of Joseph, was brought to this country by his father in 1638. He married in Rowley, Mass., May 1, 1661, Sarah Dickinson, daughter of Thomas and Janet Dickinson. She was bom in Rowley Oct. 16, 1664, and died Jan. 30, 1723-4.” They made their home in Ipswich near the Rowley line. He was one of the soldiers from Ipswich in King Philip’s War, and died here on May 20, 1714. Generations of the Jewett family made their homes on upper High Street, and the area near the Rowley town line came to be known as Ipswich Village. Read more at History and genealogy of the Jewetts of America.
Ipswich Village on the Old Rowley Road-Featured image: “Ipswich Village” in the 1832 Philander map of the town of Ipswich. The following narrative includes excerpts from Ipswich Village and the Old Rowley Road. by Thomas Franklin Waters in 1915. “At the very beginning of the Town, High Street was the road to Newbury or ‘the pathway leading toward the River of Merrimac.’ No […]
Apphia Jewett house, 315 High Street, Ipswich MA-315 High St, the Apphia Jewett house: Olive Jewett married Captain George W Howe of Rowley on November 26, 1835 and Captain Howe built upon the lot. He conveyed this house on May 18, 1858 to his sister Apphia. At her death, the house and land was sold and passed through several hands to Deacon Amos Everett Jewett, whose […]
Moses Jewett house, 89 High Street, Ipswich-Moses Jewett was born in Ipswich, Mass., March 15, 1778 to John Cole Jewett and Elizabeth Smith, whose home stands at 93 High Street. He married April 17, 1798, Abigail Pearson , who was born in Ipswich Feb. 23, 1780. She died in Ipswich, Aug. 4, 1836, age 56. Mr. Jewett died in Ipswich April […]
John Cole Jewett house, 93 High Street, Ipswich-John Cole Jewett was born in Ipswich in 1743. He married Elizabeth Smith, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth (Wallis) Smith of Ipswich. Cole was a private in the Revolution and marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, serving 4 days. His wife died June 9, 1805, aged 65 years. He died in Ipswich, Jan. 6, 1811. They […]
Sewall Jewett house, 87 High St.-The heirs of John Lord sold the lot at 87 High St. to Sewall P. Jewett in 1830, which is the year in which the house is believed to have been built. He was the son of Moses Jewett and Abigail Pearson, who lived next door at 89 High St. At one time, this side of High […]
Moses Jewett House, 307 High Street-The Moses Jewett house at 307 High Street was built in 1759. The land was originally granted to Robert Mussey, who arrived with the original settlers of Ipswich in 1634. In his will dated 1642, he granted the farm to John, his eldest son. Another son, Robert was also owned land, “twenty acres on both sides […]
The Aaron Jewett house, 24 Market Street-The Aaron Jewett house at 24 Market Street has served as Tetrault Jewelry Store since 1941, one of the longest-lasting family businesses in Ipswich. The following information is provided by Sue Nelson for the Ipswich Historical Commission: A look at the Philander Anderson Map of 1832 clearly shows the Aaron Jewett house, one of only […]
Daniel Nourse House, 285 High Street-The Jewett family book in its history of Rowley refers to a milestone in the cellar wall of 1809 house in the Ipswich village inscribed with “B 29 / N 9″. This is may be the Daniel Nourse house at 285 High St. Our eminent historian Thomas Franklin Waters wrote about this man and more interesting history related to […]
John Harris House, 66 High Street-The Georgian style John Harris – Mark Jewett House at 66 High Street in Ipswich was built in 1795 by builder John Harris. In 1784 the town poorhouse on Loney’s lane had fallen into disrepair, and John Heard convinced the town that if it would buy John Harris’ previous home at the corner of High and Manning, he […]
William H. Jewett house, 37 Summer Street-This elegant Cape Cod Colonial at 37 Summer Street was built in 1825. Like many capes from the Greek Revival era it features a balanced facade, centered door with entablature and corner pilasters, dental molding and elaborate cornice returns. This house is a “high post cape” sometimes referred to as a “kneewall cape,” a style that became popular in the […]
The Jewetts of Rowley
The following images, and text were provided by the Rowley Historical Society in 1977, with much of text written by Ruth S. Gardner, and is available online through the Massachusetts Historical Commission site (MACRIS).
ROW.10 Joseph Jewett house, 46 Bradford St., Rowley MA, 1785. Built on original lot of John Spofford in Bradford Street, one of the first streets laid out in the town.
ROW.16 S. P. Jewett house, 34 Central St., Rowley MA, c 1750. The house was built on the lot granted in 1665 to Rev. Samuel Shephard., pastor of First Parish. His “House lot or place to build upon” was a “Piece of land about two acres be It on the west and north-west on all other parts also bounded by the common or highway.” This lot adjoined that of the Rev. Ezekiel Rogers’ lot and site of his homestead. Ezekiel Rogers being the founder of the town, Rowley was formerly called Ezekiel Rogers Plantation and was incorporated as Rowley in 1639.
ROW.102 John Harris Jr. – Deacon Joshua Jewett house, 46 Hammond St., Rowley Ma c 1765. The house was built in 1765 by John Harris Jr. who probably farmed the surrounding land and built the tidal mill in the adjacent marsh in the late 1700s. The subsequent owners were John Harris’s daughter, Phebe and her husband, Deacon Joshua Jewett from 1796 until 1861. Deacon Jewett sporadically kept a diary during the period and recounts many of the activities he performed on the property which include stock raising and butchering, carriage rental, crop raising. Deacon Jewett also performed services as town clerk for 22 years, selectman, assessor, school committee member, justice of the peace, town clerk and musical composer, physician and teacher.
ROW.36: The Abraham Jewett house, Main Street, Rowley Ma, circa 1660 on Rt. 1A just past the Ipswich town line dates back to 1660. Jewett’s History reads: “In 1660, Abraham Jewett purchased the lot on the corner of Main and Prospect Streets and built a small house that year. The building has undergone so many alterations that it is difficult to determine the original structure.” 17th century construction is visible in the oldest part of the structure nearest to Prospect Street.