An innovation of the Greek Revival period was building homes with the narrower front gable end facing the street on narrow lots. Larger Greek Revival Buildings were constructed with a temple-like façade.
Vernacular Greek Revival houses were often painted white, and featured dark green shutters. The William E. Barton house at 24 Summer Street in Ipswich was constructed in 1885, but the architectural style is similar to the earlier Greek Revival period.
Barton property first appears in the 1884 Ipswich village map, apparently the house at 30 Summer Street, under the ownership of J. E. Barton. In the 1910 map this house is shown, belonging to William J. Barton.