The house at 59 Washington Street in Ipswich was built between 1884 and 1888 for Charles W. Bamford. Bamford was, at various times in his career, Town Clerk, Treasurer, and Justice of the Peace. Bamford owned the house as late as 1910. The elaborative cornices and multiple colors of paint define it as a “Painted Lady” of the Victorian era.

ips_369