The Burnham – Nathan Brown house at 86 County Road is a 1775 Second Period Colonial. This house was built in 1775 on a lot on Candlewood Rd., probably by Thomas Burnham. In 1821 Nathan Brown bought the house from Oliver Appleton, and 3 years later he removed it to its present site on County Rd. Brown and others enlarged and remodeled the old Burnham House, but some 18th century features remain. View MACRIS
(by Thomas Franklin Waters)
Thomas Burnham on Candlewood Rd. sold to his son, James, a cooper by trade, about 30
acres and a house (but apparently not this one) Nov. 10, 1783 (142: 19). James Burnham conveyed this to John Willet, his father-in-law, Jan. 19, 1793 (155: 167). John Willet’s will (proved Feb. 7, 1804. Pro. Rec. 371: 325) gave to his daughter, Betsey Burnham, the improvement of the property of her late husband James Burnham; to Betsey and Joshua Burnham, children of Betsey, all lands conveyed to him by James Burnham; to his son, Moses, his homestead, land and buildings, about 15 acres. Betsey Burnham married Jabez Richards and conveyed to him the title in the house and acreage Oct. 17, 1809 (189: 14). Richards mortgaged to Moses Willett in 1817 (213: 129). David Dodge, administrator or Moses Willett, quitclaimed to Oliver Appleton Jr., Dec. 24, 1823 (234: 130). Appleton sold to Nathan Brown, Jan. 6, 1824 (234: 130), who moved the house to this lot, which he already owned on County Road. Mr. Brown sold the lot on Candlewood Rd. formerly occupied by the house to Nehemiah Brown, Jan. 13, 1826 (272: 111), and he to John B. Brown, Aug. 23, 1833 (609: 236).