The Daniel Russell house at 6 East Street

The house at 6 East Street was built in 1818 by Daniel Russell, the son of Henry and Mary Lord Russell. Daniel Russell was born in Ipswich on August 14, 1767 and died on December 29 1837, having lived 70 years. His wife was Sarah Sutton.

Daniel Russell bought the land and a house standing on it in 1818. This was the original Norton – Cobbet house, the home of two of the first pastors of the First Church in Ipswich.

Recently found tombstone of the 1 year old child of Daniel and Maria Russell
Recently discovered tombstone of Edwin Quincy Russell, the one year old child of Daniel Russell Jr. and Maria Russell

Their son Daniel Russell Jr. was born in Ipswich and married Mary Lakeman, and they apparently continued living in the home. The couple’s second child Edwin Quincy Russell was born July 4, 1851, died at one year 8 months. His tombstone has recently been discovered, and reads “A beautiful bud plucked from earth to be transplanted to paradise.” 

The other two children of Daniel Russell II and Mary Lakeman were Samuel B., born September 5, 1849, died July 6, 1857, at 7 years of age, and Annie E., born April 22, 1854, who died at 26 years of age. * The Russell family plot is on the hill between the Old North Burial Ground and Highland Cemetery, to the left of the third flight of steps from the top. 

The house photos below are from a decade ago before the house was refinished, and another from the 1800’s showing no trees on the hill behind the house, which is now completely wooded. View MACRIS.

The Daniel Russell house at it appeared in 2000
The Daniel Russell house in 1880

The Daniel Russell house was built in 1818 on the site of the former John Norton-Rev. Thomas Cobbet house, and is said to have the old house’s well in the cellar.

The Rev. John Norton was the teacher of First Church in 1638, succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Cobbet the last Oxford-educated minister in Ipswich. Although a former parishioner claimed he would rather hear a dog bark than hear Rev. Cobbet preach, the Reverend was respected and renowned for his prayers. At the outset of King Philip’s war, an Arosaguntacook Indian chief named Mugg who was a leader in the battles in Maine (known as the Eastern War) stopped in Ipswich to negotiate with Rev. Cobbet, whose own son was being held captive by his tribe. Mugg continued to Boston, having been promised safe passage, to negotiate a peace treaty with the British. Instead they threw him in jail and Mugg became a bitter enemy.

The house is now owned by Chris Parker and his wife Vicky, who works with Olde Ipswich Tours.

*Source for family information: Memento Mori