The Joseph Fellows – Daniel W. Appleton House at 24 Fellows Road was built before 1693. It was moved to this location and greatly altered in 1832, with further alterations after that.
William Fellows was one of the early settlers of Ipswich,and his son Joseph greatly expanded the estate along Fellows and Candlewood Roads. This dwelling continued to be owned and occupied by the Fellows heirs.
Ruth Fellows was the widow of Joseph Fellows. Under Puritan law, a widow was allowed to own only one third of her late husband’s estate. Her thirds were apportioned after her death to sons Daniel, William and Joseph. The widow Ruth had purchased 4 acres of John Low Jr. A house, barn and other buildings on her estate are mentioned in Joseph’s deed to William in 1714. William in all probability made his home with his mother. In the division of the estate, Joseph Jr. received the 2 acres previously deeded to him and 19 acres in the northwest part of the farm on Mile River.
The Joseph Fellows house was later owned by Daniel W. Appleton, born in 1833, died in 1903.