Like Lord’s Square, the South Green also had a grocery store for many years. The building at 66 County Road across from the South Green was originally the Goodhue Grocery, built in 1835. The store was successful, and a wing was added in 1856. In the 20th Century it was called the South Side Store. It was later owned by the Reiley family, Dinah Player and finally by Harold Greenhalge. The South Side Store was a popular stop for neighborhood kids for candy, pop-cycles and ice cream, or to do a quick bread and milk run. Harold would count back change with his English accent “twenty, thirty, forty, thank you love.”
The store closed in 1980.
The Calvin Locke House next door at 68 County Road was built in 1836. The size of the house and the tall Greek columns on the front exceeded his resources such that the house came to be called “Locke’s Folly.” Locke was an overseer in Augustine Heard’s lace factory, the Ipswich Manufacturing Company.The building is currently known as “The Columns” condominium.