William Hodgkins came with his father William from England in 1640 and settled in Ipswich. He built a house in 1668 and died in 1693. He had a son named William as well, born in 1668, who apparently built this house in 1690. William Jr. died in 1719. William Hodgkins sold the house to his brother Christopher Hodgkins, who sold the house to Archelaus Lakeman, a taylor, who died in 1745.
Other records show that Arthur Abbot built a house on or near this location in 1716 and sold it to Elisha Lakeman, who sold it to Solomon Lakeman who sold it in 1734 to his brother Archelaus. The Hodgkins, Perkins and Lakeman families intermarried and owned properties throughout the area around the wharf in the East End Historical District.