The first recorded deed of the Holland House appeared in 1742, when John Holland sold the property and “ye House as is now finisht standing there” to Daniel Ringe (84:201). The Hollands were a seafaring family. Another example of the common Ipswich type, the half-house, the Holland-Ringe House retains important original decorative trim. Daniel Ringe was a veteran of the French and Indian Wars.
Ringe sold the house to his son John Ringe, an esteemed Ipswich cabinet-maker. His widow divided the property, and gave some of the land that the Ringe-Newman house sat on to her daughter Anna Ringe.
From Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony: “ Bonest Norton sold to Thomas Lull, the house and land given him by his father, Wm. Norton, deceased, April 9, 1695. Lull conveyed it to John Holland, May 22, 1708 (23: 9). John Holland, son of John, sold the east half of the estate of his father, abutting on Caldwell, to Daniel Ringe, ‘and ye house as it is now finished standing there,’ Nov. 6, 1742 (84: 201). John Holland and George Newman, the executors of the will of their mother Elizabeth, sold Ringe the other half of the property, with a house, Jan. 31, 1743 (86: 31). The language of the deeds seems to imply that the house sold in 1742 was just completed at that time, while the other was the original homestead. Daniel Ringe sold the northwest comer to his son John, beginning at the south comer of his land, where his shop stands (he was a chaise maker), Oct. 19, 1793 (168: 12). The widow Ringe.. gave a homestead to her son, and daughter, Anna, wife of Elisha Newman. It is said that they built the house still known as the Ringe house. Nathaniel Caldwell married the daughter of Elisha Newman.”
It is probable that the Daniel Ringe who owned the Holland-Ringe house was in the same family lineage as the persons listed below:
Other persons by the name of Daniel Ringe (corrections or updates welcomed)
- The first Daniel Ringe arrived in 1648 and bought property from Thomas Emerson on Turkey Shore Road, adjoining the Emerson-Howard house which still stands. We read that Daniel Ringe was ordered to tend to the cows on the “green before Mr. Rogers house.” (the South Green), and that in 1661 Daniel Ringe was licensed to keep an ordinary (inn) at the location on Turkey Shore Road, but “not to draw beer above a penny a quart, and to provide meate for men and cattle.” In 1769, the land was sold by a later Daniel Ringe, son of Samuel Ringe.
- Captain Daniel Ringe who had been a soldier in the Indian wars in his younger days, and a prominent citizen, died on November 30, 1738 at the age of 80 (or 84). He owned the homestead adjoining the Howard house on Turkey Shore Road, and his will indicated a sizable estate.
- A Daniel Ringe worked as a fisherman at the turn of the 18th Century. His body was never found after his fishing ship was attacked by indians in an attack near Penobscot Bay in 1724.