The following is taken from “A Walking Tour and Brief History of Early Ipswich Massachusetts” produced by the Ipswich Visitors Center, Marjorie Robie and William Varrell:

John Harris sold this property, which he had inherited from his father Job Harris to the town in 1795 to use as a Poor House. The town eventually acquired a larger site for use as a Poor Farm and sold the property to Jacob Manning in 1818. In that year he built this house in a small space between the Poor House and the Lord House next door. The former Poor House has since been torn down. View MACRIS

ips_1351