John Kendrick house, 3 Hovey St., Ipswich MABuilt in 1665, the John Kendrick House at 3 Hovey St. in Ipswich was the winner of the 2002 Mary P. Conley award. (Also spelled Kenrick, Kendricks). The architect for the renovation was OLSON LEWIS + Architects.

This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. Protected elements include:

  • All front and side exterior features of the building
  • Central chimney
  • Central frame and roof  including primary and secondary members
  • Wooden architectural elements including doors, paneling, molding, stairs, windows and frames, and other early detail of the 17th century house and its 18th century additions.

View more photos

History (from Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony)

“John Kenrick or Kendrick, a cooper by trade, owned a large lot which was bounded by East St., Hovey ‘s Lane and Water St., in 1665. He sold his house and two acres to his son, John, Nov. 30, 1702 (15: 114), but father and son united in conveying to Thomas Staniford, an acre and a half of the land, fronting on East St. and extending down the lane “to four foot from the dwelling house of said John Kendrick Sr., and so close along by the garden fence and barn and then reaching down to low water mark,” Dec. 30, 1706 (21: 54). The next year, the Kendricks sold the remainder, with house, barn, shop to Staniford, Dec. 23, 1707. The venerable house still standing may be the Kendrick homestead.”

Information provided by the Ipswich Historical Commission for MACRIS

Stylistic evidence supports a date of about 1670. Although much of what is now visible is later, some excellent 17th century elements are exposed, signaling a house of surpassing architectural interest. Important first period fabric includes rare fragments of a three part casement window frame in the southern gable, rear rafters of the original roof that are visible in the attic, and remnants in the chimney stack of what must have been a handsome pilaster. Roof repairs in 1978 uncovered evidence at the tie beams’ ends of a plastered cove cornice, found on two other First Period houses in this neighborhood .

Much of the present trim dates from the late 18th or early 19th centuries, including the stairs and detailing in the principal first floor rooms. Notable 18th century interior elements are found in the two, main rooms of the lean-to, and include corner fireplaces with fine mid-century woodwork, and an excellent corner cupboard.