pearson_dummer

The Capt. John Pearson House at 27 Glen Street in Rowley was built in 1714 on what was originally part of the old 1640 Bay Road. Within sight is the Jewel Mill and the site of the First Fulling Mill in America built by by an earlier earlier John Pearson. The house was originally.a salt-box, but In 1858, Nathaniel N. Dummer raised the roof in the rear to the same height as the front. The original central chimney was removed and two others built. Mill-stones dating to the early part of the 17th century have served for several generations as door stones. The house contains many fine early architectural elements, including feather-edge paneling and a corner cupboard that is considered to be one of the finest of its kind in New England.

This original cupboard in the Dummer house is identical to one at the Richard Rogers house in Ipswich, MA, believed to hvae been made by Abraham Knowlton.
This original cupboard in the Pearson-Dummer house is identical to one at the Richard Rogers house in Ipswich, MA, believed to have been made by Abraham Knowlton.
Stairway in the Dummer house
Stairway in the Captain John Pearson house