The Philomen Dean house, 59 South Main is on the right after crossing the footbridge. Philemon Dean was a constable of Ipswich, served under Maj. Samuel Appleton in King Philips War, and died in 1716 long after the death of his wife and one of his twin sons. The family name is alternatively spelled Deane or Dane. His tombstone at the Old North Burying Ground reads,

Here Lies Y Body Of Docr Philemon Deane
Who Died October Y 18th, 1760 Aged 70 Years
O Lord by Sad & Awful Stroakes Of Mans Mortality
Let Us All Be Put In Mind That We Are Born To Dye
Grave Saint Behind That Cannot Find
Thy Old Love Night Nor Morn
Pray Look Above For Thers Your Love
Singing With Y First Born

 

c227_philemon_deane1

This Georgian style house was built by his surviving son Philemon Dean Jr. who bought the land from blacksmith Ordway’s widow. Philemon Dean Jr. was one of the petitioners for a new church at the South Green and for the new stone arch Choate Bridge to serve people on that side of the river.

 

The house was sold in 1827 by auction to Theodore Andrews a lace manufacturer and became known as the “Lace Factory.” A wing on the north side housed the lace machines.

south_main_philemon_dean1940

The Old Bay Road turned here and crossed the footbridge where the EBSCO dam is now. SoChoate (south of the Choate Bridge) was still a wetland. Philemon Dean Jr. was one of the petitioners for a new church at the South Green and for the new stone arch Choate Bridge to serve people on that side of the river. The house was sold in 1827 by auction to Theodore Andrews, a lace manufacturer, and became known as the “Lace Factory.” A wing on the north side housed the lace machines. Read more about the lace factory in Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Philomen-Dean_1716_side_view_57_South_Main
Philomon Dean house, 57 South Main, built in 1716, but Georgian (2nd period) construction