This 3 story hipped roof house along the Ipswich River and across from the Heard House on South Main St. in Ipswich has a substantial rear ell with a symmetrical front. The house is late First Period, and the section facing the street appears to have been modified and enlarged with a third floor and a hip roof during the Federal era. Samuel Dutch built the house before 1733. A long chamfered summer beam in the rear addition elements of that portion of the house are probably from an older house that was moved to the site as a rear addition. Early 18th century details include the front staircase, and some doors, paneling, and bolection molding on the second floor. Early 19th century material includes detailing on the third floor, mantels and paneling elsewhere in the house. Samuel Dutch was a mariner, and later owned a sawmill near his house.
This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. Protected elements include:
- Front and side facades, including front entry
- Mantlepieces and moldings surrounding the fireplaces in the front rooms of the first and second floors, and paneling over the fireplace in the second floor front northwest corner room
- The long summer beam on the first floor of the rear addition