The S. F. Canney house, 17 Argilla Rd. was built by Samuel Wade in 1845. The steep pitched gables are typical of the Gothic Revival style, popular between 1840 and 1865. Most surviving examples exist in the northeastern states. S. F. Canney owned the Canney Lumber Company, originally located near the County St., bridge, and was later located close to Tedford Lumber. The Canney Lumber Company and Burke Heel Shoe factory were destroyed in a massive fire in 1933. Most surviving examples exist in northeastern states where architects first popularized the style.