The area that is now Gloucester MA was inhabited briefly by European settlers briefly around 1626. The settlement was abandoned, but people returned slowly, and the town was founded as Gloucester in 1642, taking its name from a city in South-West England.

Gloucester shares the Cape Ann peninsula with Rockport, and both communities became important fishing ports due to their proximity to Georges Bank. Rockport was set aside from Gloucester and incorporated in 1843.

Stories from Gloucester

Stories from Rockport

Gloucester and Rockport (MA) (Images of America)