This timber-framed First Period house was built in 1718 by William Wilcomb at 43 Summer St. in Ipwich. The interior of the home features hand-hewn summer beams, wide plank flooring and the original fireplaces. An Ipswich Historic Commission plaque identifies the house.
Out on Jeffreys Neck, William Willcomb operated a fishing stage, a small building and platform for salting and drying fish. The next owner, William Benjamin Pinder was a corporal with Col. Appleton’s company in the ill-fated 1756 expedition against the French at Louisburg, Nova Scotia during the French and Indian War. The Wilcomb and Pinder families were among the early settlers in Ipswich.
The current owners added 800 square feet in 2005 with the saltbox conversion and the addition of gables. View MACRIS
Wilcomb-Pinder Cove Detail With the existing soffit and fascia peeling away from this First Period house under the relentless weight of the season’s ice it became time to
engage in some overdue carpentry. Between storms a surgical demolition revealed evidence of a previous coved cornice that we deemed worth of recreating. Precedent for a plaster soffit, deemed a sign of personal prosperity in Colonial times, exists a mere 100 yards away in the form of the Stephen Boardman house.