Captain Samuel York built this large hip roof house in 1715 after selling two smaller lots on East Street. The 2 story, L-plan house has a nearly symmetrical 5 bay facade. The interior and exterior reflect long progression of 18th and 19th century alteration.

Captain Samuel York owned this lot before 1718, and the earliest portions of this house date from the early years of his ownership, dating the house to about 1715. Benjamin Averill, a Revolutionary War veteran, bought the house in 1793 and it remained in the Averill family until the late 19th century. The house retains several first period interior features. The main room on the first floor contains a summer beam with diminutive chamfer, exposed in recent years when later casing was removed. Exposed posts on the second floor have wider simple chamfers. Other interior detailing includes feather edged paneling, several two paneled doors with pointed strap hinges, and a Federal mantel. View MACRIS

York Averill house, Water Street, Ipswich
York Averill house, Water Street, Ipswich

 

Photograph by the Ipswich Historical Commission